Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Shoestring Philanthropist......

So, I will post the link to this story below.  I am up for learning about just about anything so I am always looking stuff up in my spare time.  I came across a story called "The Shoestring Philanthropist" that was in Parade magazine.  

You may have heard this story before but when I was little I had begged and begged for money for a toy.  It was cold and snowing and we were at Brendles on Tunnel Rd for those of you that remember that place (I don't think it is still there) anyway, finally my mother had just about enough of it and I supposed wanted to shop in peace so she gave me some money and asked my sister to drive me across the street to K-Mart to get me a toy!  Wooo Hoooo I winned, I winned!  Anyway, as we were leaving the parking lot there was a man standing there looking such a mess, something I guess I had never paid attention to before I mean I was a kid.  He was holding a sign that simply said WILL WORK.  It was not asking for anything, he wasn't being picky.  It was so cold and snowy out so I decided I wanted to help.  So my sister said OK and she rolled the window down and told him to go stand up by the Burger King. (it was in the parking lot) We went through the drive-thru, spent all of my money and what little my sister happened to have in her pocket.  We bought coffee, orange juice, hot food.....we drove back around to the man, crouched down behind the sign to block the wind and gave him all the food.....He was so beyond thankful.  In years since my sister and I have been known to buy a bag of warm deli food, juice and snacks at Wal-Mart or somewhere with the only intention of finding someone as we left to give it to.  Such little things that we so often take for granted can touch someone else in such a big way it is unreal!!

A few years ago my family and I had been to the Copper Cellar on Christmas Eve, it's a nice place, and as we were leaving there was a man, clearly not clean or anything and again it was very cold out.  I watched these people actually cower and grab their bags tighter including a family member of my own whom will remain nameless.  As we were passing I simply turned back around and gave the man my to-go box with my left overs.  It was so appreciative and so grateful.  I turned around and my unnamed family member said "Wow, I just never thought about that!" and I said well, "He didn't want to attack anyone or anything, he is cold, hungry, alone; it is Christmas eve! I mean, really, in most cases I would have taken that box home and it would have sat in the fridge until trash day" and she said you are exactly right, that was very nice.  Yes, it was "leftovers" but really, isn't that about 100 times better than him having to eat something out of the dumpster?  

Some people can't be trusted.  I worked several years here locally in a Package Store in the evenings.  I can't tell you how many people walked in, some times multiple times a day, and purchased "minis" with change and wrinkled up 1's that people had given them.  For those reasons I don't give people $$.  I was traveling with a friend one time and this man and small child were at the station trying to get someone to help as they were out of gas and living in their car.  We decided we would not give him $$ but we would put a little gas in his car.  You can always find simple ways to help others.

I get really frustrated when I see people posting on facebook every day of the week that they are eating out multiple meals a day, at nice places and having their $7 fancy coffee everyday and then they complain about how tight their budget is and they don't reach out to help others, they don't donate when people are raising money for a good cause because they can't afford it.  Eating out every day let a lone multiple meals is stinking expensive!!  Can you imagine how many people you could give a warm coffee and biscuit to, especially this time of year just by skipping that expensive coffee and waiting until you get to work and drinking regular coffee.  1 of your fancy coffee drinks could help 2-3 people they are going without, right there in your very own town.  With the economy so many people are on hard times that never would have been before.  What most seem to take for granted is all it takes is one little thing to happen and we ourselves could be the ones standing in the cold praying for something warm to eat or gas so our family would not freeze in the car! Just simple cut backs make a difference.  I traded buying gifts for the 4 people here at work I normally buy for and took that money and bought Christmas gifts for 2 children in NC.  See, Dec 4th their mother, a girl I went to school with (young, vibrant, whom should have had so much more time) passed away.  Medical bills have been more than what the family could handle.  It will make a difference in those children's lives and that is what matters.  Yes, the people here at work would have enjoyed their gifts but I think I chose the better option this year.  It was a simple trade, a simple choice and a good one!

The thing you hear about it making you feel better....Guess what.....IT IS TRUE!  It will stick with you when you make a habit of it as well.  I have had to make a lot of changes this past quarter with my situation changing and although the cuts have been stressful, frustrating, upsetting.....I still have SO MUCH that others do not and I have to always remind my self when I get so down that I am very blessed. 

I see all of these groups and even know some of these people and it seems that everyone leaves this country to help overs yet there are so many people in our own neighborhoods that NEED help.  My best friend since I was 10 was adopted and had a "Big Brother" through Big Brothers and Sisters program and I have to say, his Big Brother made such a difference in his life and til this day they are still family.  Still see one another, still talk, attend weddings all of that stuff.  It didn't cost this guy $ just a little of his time to help someone else and it was wonderful!  I like to see people help HERE.

Anyway, all that being said, while reading the above mentioned article I came across a group called the Cause & Affect Foundation.  Yes, they help a lot in other countries but when I read their blog I discovered that they also help at home and they have taught other young people to step up and help others as well so you should check them out.  

As you enjoy your holiday vacation time and you are out and about enjoying all the things we should be so blessed and thankful for and you see that man, think, do you really need that leftover box, would it hurt you to share and help someone else??  It will not cost you a dime!

Just a thought.


"I would maintain that thanks 
are the highest form of thought,
and that gratitude is happiness 
doubled by wonder."

~ Gilbert Keith Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment